Alston & Bird recently issued an advisory entitled, “Applying GDPR Process Lessons to the CCPA,” authored by Jim Harvey and Karen Sanzaro. The recently and hastily adopted California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (CCPA) has already been compared to the General Data Protection Act (GDPR), though the two greatly differ in scope and content. However, there are valuable insights to glean from the GDPR adoption process that can give companies a heads start on implementing the CCPA. The advisory examines these five lessons from which companies can learn:
- Leadership and multidisciplinary collaboration.
- Budget appropriate funds as soon as possible.
- Essential to have good data inventory and map.
- Using consultants and third-party compliance tools.
- Start your vendor management early.
The full advisory can be found at Applying GDPR Process Lessons to the CCPA.